SFT Annual Report and Accounts 2017-18
20 September 2018
The SFT's Annual Report and Financial Statements are available to download and read here.
Further funding received from the clients of Tilhill Forestry Ltd
10 January 2018
Trustees were delighted to receive a further contribution towards research into reducing risks in afforestation and in particular restocking forests in the UK. Further details can be found on the formal Press Release.
So far, the fund has supported two of our current projects; Using satellite imagery to improve Hylobius prediction and Predicting impacts of extreme weather events in UK forests.
SFT Annual Report and Accounts 2016/17
10 January 2018
Our Annual Report and Accounts for 2016-17 is available to download from our website.
Closing date for the February round of applications
17 January 2017
The next date for the receipt of applications for our general assistance programme and Bursary schemes, is the 23rd February 2018.
Further details on key dates for 2018 can be found here
New Partnership brings welcome funding boost
28 September 2016
A new initiative aimed at supporting applied research projects which will help identify ways of reducing insured risks in UK forests and woodlands, was announced today. Funded by a partnership between QBE Business Insurance and the clients of Tilhill Forestry Ltd, the initiative will be delivered by The Scottish Forestry Trust.
Full details on how to apply will be available from 15th October 2016 and the full Press Release can be downloaded here.
SFT Report and Accounts for 2015-16
28 September 2016
The Trust's latest report and accounts for 2015-16 is available to view and download here.
Looking for a career in forestry?
25 March 2016
Then this short video clip will give you more information on what a career in the modern forestry industry looks like today.
Citizen Science project
17 March 2016
One of our supported PhD students, Simone Bianchi, based at Bangor University, is looking for help with data collection in order to model the growth of naturally regenerating seedlings, particularly Sitka spruce and Douglas fir. Further details are available here
Scottish Woodlands Ltd Student Excellence Award
15 January 2016
The Scottish Forestry Trust is delighted to announce that the winner of the Scottish Woodlands Ltd Student Excellence Award for 2015 is Stuart Fraser, formerly of Aberdeen University and now carrying out post-doctoral research at the Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute (FABI) at the University of Pretoria. Full details are available here
Closing date for the next application round
08 January 2016
The closing date for the next funding round for all bursary scheme applications and general funding award applications, is Friday 19th February 2016.
- Digital Quarterly Journal of Forestry: Early Years 2018
- Dormouse connectivity for forest resilience 2018-2021
- Future proofing British conifer forestry in response to Phytophthora ramorum 2018-2021
- The multi-trophic consequences of ash dieback – a baseline survey of Wytham Woods 2018-2019
- Assessing the risk of chemical runoff following use of Gazelle SG as a pre-treatment and top-up spray in forestry. 2017-2020
- Monitoring and managing genetic diversity in Sitka spruce 2018-2021
- Predicting impacts of extreme weather events in UK forests 2018-2021
- Studying a mycovirus from Dothistroma septosporum 2018-2020
- Assessing the value of secondary woodlands for biodiversity 2017-2018
- Using satellite imagery to improve Hylobius prediction 2017-2018
- Putting UK Bats on the map 2017-2019
- Improving Biodiversity in Lowland Planted Woodlands 2017-2020
- Mapping impacts of Phytophthora austrocedri in juniper 2017-2021
- Improving the understanding and management of Phoenix Trees 2016-2018
- The Ecology and Genetics of Native Scottish Crab Apple 2016-2018
- Development and Publication of Tree Work Guides 2016-2018
- Shaping the Future of Forestry 2016-2017
- Epidemiology of Phytophthora ramorum on Larix spp. and host responses to infection 2016-2019
- Woodland Planting and Natural Flood Management 2015-2019
- Silvicultural diversity and birds in Scots pine forests 2015-2016
- Ownership effect on benefits from woodland expansion 2015-2019
- Who Will Pay for Urban Forest Climate Regulation Services? 2015-2018
- Multi-taxa functional diversity in UK plantation forests Sept 2015-Dec 2019
- Emergent forest dynamics and natural flood management 2015-2016
- Mapping and Repositioning Forestry Skills for the 21st Century 2014-2020
- Can ecological restoration help build sustainable communities? 2013-2016
- How environment and gene flow shape adaptation in Scots pine 2013-2016
- Advanced Assessment of Minor G.B. Conifer species 2012-2016