Improving Biodiversity in Lowland Planted Woodlands
Carried out by: Falkland Stewardship Trust/Dr Rick Worrell
Woodlands planted on arable land and improved pasture fail to develop woodland plant communities and remain dominated by grass and agricultural weeds; even in old woods. This severely limits their biodiversity value, including impacts on some invertebrate populations; and reduces the amenity and recreational appeal of the woods.
This can be addressed via careful introductions of missing woodland plant species aimed at simply establishing small viable populations that can colonise the wood over time. There are a few trials of woodland plant introductions in Scotland and England; but none have used this approach and are suitable for long term monitoring and research.
a) Establish long term demonstration sites to test the feasibility of introductions, provide evidence of outcomes, refine methodology and seek cost-effective approaches.
b) Arrange training events focused on good conservation management of lowland planted woods.
1) a paper(s) describing improved management practices;
2) enhanced understanding and professional capacity amongst managers;
3) a long term research resource;
4) a student dissertation.
SFT Funds Awarded: £2,500
- Using satellite imagery to improve Hylobius prediction 2017-2018
- Putting UK Bats on the map 2017-2019
- Improving Biodiversity in Lowland Planted Woodlands 2017-2020
- Mapping impacts of Phytophthora austrocedri in juniper 2017-2021
- Improving the understanding and management of Phoenix Trees 2016-2018
- The Ecology and Genetics of Native Scottish Crab Apple 2016-2018
- Development and Publication of Tree Work Guides 2016-2018
- Shaping the Future of Forestry 2016-2017
- Epidemiology of Phytophthora ramorum on Larix spp. and host responses to infection 2016-2019
- Woodland Planting and Natural Flood Management 2015-2019
- Silvicultural diversity and birds in Scots pine forests 2015-2016
- Ownership effect on benefits from woodland expansion 2015-2019
- Who Will Pay for Urban Forest Climate Regulation Services? 2015-2018
- Multi-taxa functional diversity in UK plantation forests Sept 2015-Dec 2019
- RSFS Annual Lecture 2015-2017
- Emergent forest dynamics and natural flood management 2015-2016
- Mapping and Repositioning Forestry Skills for the 21st Century 2014-2020
- Can ecological restoration help build sustainable communities? 2013-2016
- How environment and gene flow shape adaptation in Scots pine 2013-2016
- Advanced Assessment of Minor G.B. Conifer species 2012-2016